Sunday, April 10, 2011

An Ensign to the Nations - Jeffrey R. Holland

  For the summary of my reading of the conference talks for April, 2011 Elder Holland's talk seemed the best place to begin. It should help focus the subsequent reading of the talks knowing the perspective he sets here. What a great remembrance for us about the prophetic choice of the Salt Lake Valley as the place of the Ensign to the nations shown to Isaiah. I remember in my youth, climbing part way up that "hill" when staying at my Uncle Sharp Daynes' house not far from there.
  Now some thoughts from this discourse:


  • Questions: It took only 10 hours to listen to all of the talks, how many of our life's precious hours are needed to read, pray and ponder? Did you catch his description of how he saw the speakers as angels standing in that place to give their "angelic messages?" When we are called to participate in this great effort, should we be able to say we have "wept, worried and earnestly sought the Lord's direction...?" 
  • Clearly, especially here in Brasil with the many new churches and the bumper stickers proclaiming the driver's "connection" to deity we must teach the narrow way as Christ did. Let's remember; "Clearly anyone who thinks Jesus taught no-fault theology did not read the fine print in the contract! No, in matters of discipleship the Church is not a fast-food outlet; we can't always have it "our way"." It is only His way that must be appreciated and lived and then He gave us a list to follow.
  • Elder Holland called the speakers "these mortal angels who come to this pulpit..." but last evening I attended the Institute of Religion class taught by three young teachers (they took turns) discussing true principles embedded in the scriptures to a thoughtful group of perhaps thirty adult youth for almost two hours. They may not see themselves as "angels" but I did. The warnings are being made and many are hearing and doing.
  Now, as I understood and felt the spirit of this talk, I will look carefully at each to find the application to my life that may be most important on that difficult trail to His presence in the next life. To answer my question, I believe it will take at least one hour per talk meaning only about 35 hours of my life to realize some eternal results. Perhaps a little more if I read the references and mark my scriptures. This is the way of life.

1 comment:

  1. When Elder Holland said that those speaking in Conference prayed, fasted, studied for what the Lord would want them to present. And that each had wept, worried and saught the Lords direction, I knew he spoke the truth. His quote from Pres. Harold B. Lee was priceless: that the words of Christ are to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" He said their solemn charge is to issue warnings. I made myself a promise to continue reading all the Conference talks and rechallenge myself to apply what is being taught to myself and for my callings in life.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a comment or two please add it to the Post. It is always helpful to have other points of view or ideas that may improve understanding or usefulness of the topics commented upon.