Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Remember This: Kindness Begins with Me" - Mary N. Cook

In reading the beginning experience Sister Cook related regarding a young Laurel in her ward I immediately thought of a young 17 year old young woman in one of the branches here. She has a warm sparkling attitude and is smiling and approachable with all of the students in her Seminary class and has only been a member less than a year. She is the president of the class and also helps with the attendance roll. She is caring and was engaged in helping several young members or investigators during the class and other meetings. I did not ask the question that Sister Cook mentioned but I'm confident that the answer would be that she now centers her life on Jesus Christ as well.


This was a new thread of thought about the word "benevolent" from the 13th Article of Faith. I don't remember the Primary song. When we go forward with people and we have in our hearts this attitude, it is easy to see the light in the eyes of a person when we listen and get to know him or her. By so doing, we find that every one of us is unique but in the Church our strengths and weaknesses blend into the unity that we strive to have. This is enhanced by our benevolence through individual acts of kindness. As we follow the Prophet and refrain from judging and criticizing others, our benevolent spirit will add to the unity of the group.


I am thankful for the many benevolent lives that have touched me and for those of my own family that demonstrate this great principle in their families.


Thank you Sister Cook for reminding us. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked her comments of "everyone is our neighbor", and her story about the Bishops counselor who looked out into his congregation and saw a child with a large box of crayons filled with a variety of different hues and he thought of the member in his ward were like the crayons, they were very similar but each person was also very unique. They all had their individual strengths, weaknesses, personal longings, private dreams, but togeher, they blended into a color wheel of spiritual unity." It's wanting the best for others as much as you want it for yourself. We need to share through individual acts of kindness. Have you ever felt lonely? Make certain everyone is included and feels loved and valued." Her talked reminded me of my Daddy, who passed away at the age of 53, a couple of years after I was married. He use to always say that I was" Important, Loved and Special". Plus he was a friend to everyone he met. He didn't know a stanger! I wanted to be just like him. If I saw someone sitting alone in church I would go up to them and introduce myself and either invite them to sit with me or I'd sit down with them. Don't know if that did anybody any good but it made me feel good. I'd want someone to do that for those I love if they were ever alone in church. We never know what other's might be going thru. We just might be the one to answer somebody elses prayer.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a comment or two please add it to the Post. It is always helpful to have other points of view or ideas that may improve understanding or usefulness of the topics commented upon.