Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Essence of Discipleship - Silvia H. Allred

  This discourse follows and goes hand in hand with Elder Burton's talk in the same session of Conference. It focuses on love being manifest in the service done by us in our quest "...to be of one heart and one mind." The foundation of this talk is the restoration of the Church and then the formalization of Welfare principles 75 years ago. 
  I remember going with my father to visit a family two or three times. I was probably at the impressionable age of 16. This was a mother with a couple of small children. The small house was very dirty and cluttered and I was reticent to sit on the couch, it looked so soiled. Dad talked with her and learned things about her and the children but I don't remember any of the details. I believe that he reported and then in ways I was not part of I think help was given, the house was cleaned up and then we didn't visit again. I don't know what happened to them but my youthful experience showed me that the Church programs were in place and that people were helped and I believe there was teaching to advance the ability of that family to help themselves. Since that time, I have been involved in many such cases where the program of the Church helped a family to meet their needs and become self-sufficient.
  As an addition to this post, I have re-read the Doctrine and Covenants section 20 now as part of the assignment by Elder Uchtdorf and summarized a few posts ago. I recommend that all families read that together, especially from verse 1 to 36, paying attention to the three "Amens" that punctuated the subjects involved. As far as I know, that is the only time the word "proving" appears in the scriptures as it is used in verse 11. These verses provide the pivotal summary of what happened that gives us all the choice to be believing and lay claim to the promises. Reading this together with verses 13 to 17 of Joseph Smith - History in a prayerful setting will certainly bring a confirmatory feeling to you. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Sister Allred said that we "must love & serve one another", it is essential to OUR decipleship.
    Our church welfare system has NEVER CHANGED because it is divinely inspired.
    When we are self reliant we are better able to help others.
    The Gospel in action is pure religion.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a comment or two please add it to the Post. It is always helpful to have other points of view or ideas that may improve understanding or usefulness of the topics commented upon.